Tuesday 5 May 2020

A Hibernating Dormouse

It's 2020. May. Lockdown. Strange, weird times.

Oh well. And, I rather give up on routine blogging. However, I have some things to post so will start again...



Sometime in the middle of March 2020  I went to the greenhouse to get seed trays, lifted one up and found this little creature in the one below! So sweet! I have never seen a dormouse before. What a strange place to hibernate.
I touched it and it breathed very obviously for a second or two and then resumed this torpor-like state. Carefully replacing the upper tray I fetched my camera and took this photo, and then started a bit of research into Dormouse UK.
I registered ‘my’ dormouse, found out a lot more about them and had a very interesting email exchange with the Dormouse Officer at the People's Trust for Endangered Species.
Dormice are obviously thriving here. We have many very old thick clumps of hazel (full name is Hazel Dormouse) ;  I see the evidence on the way the nuts are eaten. I didn't know that they are mostly arboreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment