Friday 10 June 2016

Jackdaws

The young jackdaws have fledged and there is such a cawing and noisy, 'chacking' flapping going on in the trees near the nests, one of which is in the eaves of our house.  It's easy to tell a young jackdaw in flight; they flap furiously but don't get along so smoothly or as fast as the adults.  The commotion in the trees seems to be as they beg for food from their parents.  There has only been one down the chimney this year and it went back up on its own, but in previous years we have had to open the access hole in the register plate above the woodburner and wait until the youngster was brave enough to come out into the room.   With a window wide open and the curtain drawn over closed panes, the bird would then fly straight to the light and be free again; occasionally one would leave a feathery and sooty wing-strike mark on the wallpaper before flying out.
I wrote this on 22nd. June last year, before I was doing this blog.
"....the bird was too scared to come down the hole - I went with the torch to have a look and it was just sitting right on the edge so I made a grab for its legs and got it, lots of screeching and flapping but I smoothed it down to be quiet and took it to the open window, where it took off across the yard."
I know a lot of people don't like them and they are a bit of a nuisance, but they seem full of character with a very strong social bond.  And I like their blue eyes.
10th. June  Later - I just went down to fetch the post and this youngster was in the corner by the stable - I moved closer to get a picture  - it was rather worried and flapped up to this bit of wood.  The parent started loud cawing from nearby.  It all went quiet as I moved away.


No comments:

Post a Comment