Thursday 23 June 2016

Predators and pretty weeds

I was standing out in the garden just after 7am a couple of days ago when I heard a desperate screeching 'chak';  a jackdaw flying very fast with a buzzard in hot pursuit.  I had never seen a buzzard so low over the garden.  I clapped and shouted - the buzzard wheeled off.  Jackdaw lived to see another day.  I'm sure the screech was a cry for help.  I know they all have to eat - the buzzard probably has young ones to feed.
Today, we have just followed a sparrowhawk down the lane for about a quarter of a mile.  They quite regularly appear suddenly at hedge level or below, flying very fast.  This one was practically skimming the tarmac.  It turned towards a field gate, alighting on it, and having to fly off again as our car passed by.  There are a lot of them; I think they do mostly get sparrows - there are a lot of those here too.

I took the picture of the border (which is MUCH better in real life) - the hardy geraniums, pink and blue, are lovely and will give another show later if I tidy them up after the first flush.  The small white flower clusters are Ground Elder flowers (shock horror) - I will break them off before they seed, but they are pretty and I sometimes let them do this.  And the big green architectural leaves are Hogweed - the plants are so sturdy that they hold up the clumps of weaker perennials.   I cut off the flowering heads so that only the lower strong stalks and leaves are left.  At the far end is a cardoon, a monster that is already 7 feet tall and still growing.  I like it better when it is just a great silver grey clump in April, before it starts to send up the flower spikes.


No comments:

Post a Comment